Learjet Loses Control In Fatal Crash

Admin Airplanes, Flex Air News

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) claims that a plane coming in for landing at the Teterboro Airport in New Jersey seemed to be just fine on its trip from Philadelphia on Monday. Just as everything appeared to be OK, the plane went out of control and crashed.

Two people were killed in the accident and there isn’t yet an explanation for the crash.

Jim Silliman, the investigator for the NTSB said, “There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary up until then,” referring to the last moments of the plane’s descent into the airport. The cause of the crash is still under investigation. The aircraft in question was a Learjet 35, which is a commonly used twin-engine jet that’s often used for private charters. At 3:30 p.m when the plane crashed, it caused quite a chaotic scene. The plane crashed into a parking lot, set fire to three buildings as well as more than twelve vehicles.

Aside from the fatalities for those onboard the plane, there were no other injuries to those on the ground. The plane made it within about 400 meters of the airport. During a press conference, Silliman claimed that there was no unusual communication between the pilot of the plane and air traffic controllers. Everything seemed to be fine and then the plane lost control. The crash caused wreckage to be spread out over a large area and an entire block was sectioned off for the investigation.

Luckily, there was a cockpit voice recorder that took account of everything that was said during the final moments of the flight.

The investigators are going to look into all of the variables that could have affected the outcome of the Learjet crash, including the weather conditions, maintenance of the plane, condition of the engines, etc. There was a crosswind at the airport on Monday and the air traffic controllers noted that they did their best to help pilots avoid crosswinds, bringing them into the airport against a headwind whenever possible. Silliman also said that “Pilots in the area were dealing with the same winds – not just this airport, but all airports in this Northeast region.”

Implicit in this statement is Silliman’s view that there must have been something other than the winds to blame for this tragedy.

That being said, there are so many different aspects that go into a flight that it could have been anything that caused the crash. That’s why the investigation is expected to reach a definitive cause for the accident in about 12-18 month’s time. This will give the investigators a chance to examine all of the details of the incident using a methodological approach that will ensure they don’t miss anything. No names have been released yet as the medical examiner is waiting to confirm the identities of the bodies before they share more information with the public.

The plane was operated by Trans-Pacific Jets, a charter company located in Honolulu, Hawaii. The owners of the plane were not on board, only the pilot and co-pilot. From Billings, Montana, Chandra Hanson told Bloomberg that she and her husband own the plane. They are often on the aircraft but when they don’t need it, they charter it privately. Normally, the aircraft is located in Salt Lake City, Utah, where it’s based.

Tragedies like this are a stark reminder that there are only a certain number of things that can be controlled in the aviation industry. This is why preflight checks and all other safety measures are so important.

Hopefully, we will all learn something valuable from this incident so that we can move forward in a safer manner and prevent things like this from happening in the future.