Plane Crashes Into Building in New Jersey

Admin Airplanes, Flex Air News

A catastrophic plane crash occurred on the afternoon of May 15, 2017, when a small plane traveling from the Philadelphia International Airport to Teterboro Airport hit down in a busy industrial neighborhood in Carlstadt, New Jersey.

The accident transpired only about a quarter of a mile away from the aircraft’s destination: Runway 1 at Teterboro Airport.

The Learjet-35 (typically functioning as a private business jet) crashed around 3:30 pm Monday afternoon, just moments after many people had been crowding the parking lot where the wreck occurred. A wing of the aircraft became lodged in the Manhattan Door Company building where employees and customers still conducted business. However, despite the close proximity to so many civilians, everyone on the ground was evacuated successfully without any reported deaths or injuries.

Unfortunately, both the pilot and co-pilot were killed in the crash. Their identities and the cause of the accident have yet to be determined. Many individuals on the ground rushed to the aid of the crew members; however, the entire plane and surrounding area were covered in flames, so there was nothing that could be done without the proper equipment. The plane is registered to A&C Big Sky Aviation in Billings, Montana, and was built in 1981. It’s tail number is N452DA. Investigators are working to find more information about the identities of the pilot and co-pilot. At the moment, they are confident that there were no other passengers aboard the aircraft.

Upon inquiry with A&C Big Sky Aviation, a man claiming to be the owner reported having a plane of this make and model, but did not have any information about the crash. The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board will be examining the plane’s maintenance records as part of the investigation into the cause of the crash. According to witnesses, the plane came down at about a ninety-degree angle, followed by a loud explosion that shook the doors and windows of the surrounding buildings. The whole area around the public works center was engulfed in smoke, and the plume was reportedly seen all the way in Manhattan.

Some close to the incident described a scene of melting cars and exploding tires amongst the flames.

Nearby surveillance cameras recorded that the plane crashed nose-down and on its side. It caused a large fireball that lit on fire many cars, several buildings, and a handful of powerlines. One theory about the cause of the accident is that the pilot missed his or her turn toward the runway at Teterboro Airport and overcorrected the trajectory. Another is the impact of strong wind gusts that occurred that afternoon. They were reported at up to 45 miles per hour in the area. The airport was closed for several hours following the incident, but opened again that evening.

There has not been a plane crash at Teterboro Airport since 2005, and there have not been any accidents with casualties there since 1985.

The members of the Carlstadt community are quite disturbed by the disaster. Several witnesses reported that they are used to seeing planes fly near the ground due to their close proximity to the airport, so they never expected such a catastrophic event from this low-flying jet. The visions of flames and the sounds of explosions will not be easily forgotten.